A digital hotbed for innovation
With a strong ecosystem of innovation, access to large Fintech market opportunities, an unrivalled network of business clusters, five world class universities and a highly skilled talent pool, North East England is an unbeatable location for FinTech companies to locate and grow.
Why FinTech firms choose to locate in North East England
- Existing ecosystem of digital businesses playing a pioneering role in Fintech, including Atom Bank, World Pay and Wirecard
- Five universities with over 51,000 students studying STEM subjects, producing a high quality talent pool of graduates ready for the workplace
- Access to large market opportunities for Fintech companies, locally we have the headquarters of Sage, Virgin Money, Atom Bank and Newcastle Building Society
- The region has a thriving digital cluster and is home to two National Innovation Centres plus globally unique innovation hubs
- Quality Grade A office accommodation and innovation hubs such as Sunderland Software Centre, TUS Park and Salvus House all focussed on growing innovative tech businesses.
Over recent years, the financial services sector has been transformed through new technology and the Fintech revolution has been born.
The region is a digital hotbed with a strong ecosystem of innovation, coupled with a vibrant financial and business services sector, which is attracting global players in the Fintech market who are exploiting the market opportunities available here.
Unbeatable skills availability
The region is home to five reputable and established universities that provide high quality graduates specialising in technology, accounting and design – all skills required by FinTech companies.
Colleges and universities in North East England are working with the private sector to deliver courses that meet the skills demand for the tech sector. The North East Futures University Technical College (UTC), in Newcastle is helping to create the digital workforce of the future. The UTC has private sector backing from global companies with a North East presence including Accenture, HewlettPackard, Sage and Ubisoft.
Unrivalled cluster groups
North East England offers a superb support network for businesses, with a unique eco- system primed and ready to welcome investors. Our vibrant tech cluster collaborates on skills and development to fuel rapid business growth.
Key business networks in our region include Dynamo North East, Sunderland Software City and North East & Tees Valley Digital Catapult who all offer superb networking, training and support to investors. Research institutions such Newcastle University’s ‘Cloud Innovation Centre’ also supports business with research and knowledge transfer.