Depth and breadth across the energy workforce
A highly skilled talent pool of workers makes North East England a prime location for investors.
There are over 28,000 employees in the energy sector, with skills extending from fabrication to engineering expertise.
North East England is steeped in an engineering tradition with universities and colleges specialising on new innovative engineering practices to equip workers with the skills they need. The region’s five universities are critical partners in the offshore energy sector. They have research and technology expertise in a vast range of relevant fields such as marine engineering, design technology, offshore wind engineering, data analytics, and energy efficiency.
The region has nearly 10,000 students studying Engineering and Technology at its universities.
There are a number of Colleges in the Energy Gateway area providing bespoke training for tomorrow’s energy workforce. These include:
- Northumberland College’s Wind Turbine Technical Training Centre at the Port of Blyth. The centre provides access to a 27m high climbing tower for ‘working at height’, training technicians in servicing and maintaining wind turbines. Its internationally-recognised Level 3 BZEE Wind Turbine Service Engineering course, is only offered in a handful of global educational and training establishments to offer the German-based qualification as part of its wider STEM provision to prepare students with the correct vocational skills for employment.
- Newcastle College’s Energy Academy offers qualifications up to degree level in energy technology, manufacturing, maintenance and apprenticeships and have recently lunched the world’s most advanced Immersive Hybrid Reality (iHR) offshore wind training facility
- South Shields Marine School has a worldwide reputation for outstanding maritime training
This training excellence is enhanced by a number of world-renowned private sector training providers in the region. Providers include:
- Port Training Services (PTS) – PTS based at the Port of Blyth is installing a bespoke wind turbine training facility at one of its terminals. The Vestas V47 turbine, will be a dedicated training facility and features a duplicate nacelle unit for safer use with trainees while the original nacelle is located at ground level for technical training
- Maersk Training – Maersk Training A/S provides training services to maritime and offshore energy production industries worldwide. The company offers maritime, oil and gas, wind, and crane operations training services. It also provides training services in the areas of survival, safety and security, people skills, and human resource
- AIS Training – AIS Training deliver world-class specialist training for the offshore oil & gas, wind energy and industrial sectors. From our state-of-the-art industrial training facilities throughout the UK, AIS offer a comprehensive portfolio of mandatory and optional skills, competency and safety courses endorsed by the world’s leading trade associations.