The North East has a well-established network of clusters, accelerator programmes and organisations able to support start-up and growing businesses. What makes it the ideal location for life sciences companies is the addition of specialist networks to nurture the unique needs of the sector. Our specialist networks include:
- Academic Health Sciences North East and North Cumbria (AHSN)
- Fuse (the Centre for Translational Research in Public Health)
- MedConNect North
- North East Process Industry Cluster (NEPIC)
- Diagnostics North East
- NIHR Newcastle MIC
- Pharma North East
The North East’s business support ecosystem is constantly expanding with an exciting range of new and upcoming facilities primed to support the life sciences sector. These include:
- Health Care Photonics, phase 2: The National Healthcare Photonics Centre is a state-of-the-art facility based in County Durham. This cutting-edge site enables academic partners, SMEs and multinationals to accelerate the commercialisation of medical technology products related to digital imaging and in-vitro diagnostics.
- Northern Alliance Advanced Therapy Treatment Centre (NA-ATTC) phase 2 – is a consortium of 20 industry, NHS and academic organisations led by Newcastle Hospitals and the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS), to develop the systems and infrastructure to support the delivery of cell and gene therapies.
- Digital Skills Hub: The North East LEP is developing a Digital Skills Hub to enable development, training and adoption in robotic and digital surgery, mental health and rehabilitation.
- Early Diagnostics Institute: Led by Turbinia,the Early Diagnostics Institute will help to raise the profile of the North East’s scientific, medical and technological knowledge.