Academic centres of excellence and exceptional investment sites
A world class centre of healthcare excellence, a workforce underpinned by university graduate talent and pharmaceutical manufacturing prowess, make North East England a highly attractive to life sciences investors.
Why Life Sciences companies choose to locate in North East England
- Existing world class pharmaceutical manufacturers successfully operating from clusters in our region – GSK, Aesica and Piramal Healthcare – all innovate, develop, test and distribute life-saving medications across the globe… and are all aided by our stable, cost competitive, and productive workforce.
- Superb availability of exceptional quality sites for life sciences investors, such as Newcastle Helix, NETPark and the International Centre for Life
- Newcastle University ranks in the world’s top 100 for life sciences research with academic centres of excellence at our five universities in age-related diseases, personalised medicine and digital healthcare
- Over one-quarter of students at our universities study life sciences subjects, the highest number of life sciences students in England relative to size of the workforce
- Renowned clinical trials platforms and highly active clinical research networks across different disease and therapeutic areas
- The Financial Times Benchmarking Study found a typical 50-person life sciences R & D operation in North East England would save around £1m per annum in costs compared to South East England.
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing in North East England
North East England’s life sciences sector is a fast-growing success story. Our region is the UK Manufacturing centre for the Life Sciences sector, with 86% of all pharmaceutical production exported for global use (source First for Pharma).
Sector strength is founded on a base of 170 life sciences-related businesses supported by over 6,800 employees in the wider sector.
Pharmaceuticals manufacturers like MSD in Cramlington, Northumberland, thrive in our region. It employs 400 people at one of the most advanced plants of its type in the world – a recognised centre of excellence for tablet manufacturing and packaging. GSK produces over 500,000 units a day at its 60-acre manufacturing site in County Durham, employing 1,100 people.
Our extensive supply chain to the pharmaceuticals industry includes companies in drug discovery, custom synthesis, specialist bio-processing and technical support.
Companies such as Biosignatures and Total Lab are taking advantage of our strength in the digital health sector to lead technological advances in next generation molecular diagnostics tests, using software to research genomics and biochemistry.