The global esports market is estimated to be worth over $1 billion and growing. The UK is the fifth biggest consumer market for games, so there is a wealth of opportunity in the sector.
North East England is a growing force in the esport market, boasting fantastic esport courses, meet-ups and esport companies such as Newcastle-based Viperio and Hitmarker, the largest gaming and esports jobs platform in the world.
The North East is the only UK region to have a performance and education campus managed by the British Esports Association, based in Sunderland.
Technology clusters and top talent
Our skilled digital workforce of over 32,500 talented people, outstanding business support clusters and networks, state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge innovators and superb digital infrastructure are all reasons why gaming and esports organisations are looking to North East England.
Our tech clusters and networks provide an unrivalled eco-system to support start-up and growing companies moving to the area through events, mentoring, funding and collective problem-solving. Our games development
The North East aims to be a trailblazer in the esports arena with the national body planning to open a performance and education campus in Sunderland. The British Esports Association will provide access to training, equipment and investment, as well as a base for the Great Britain esports team.
The centre, along with esports courses provided by local colleges and the University of Sunderland, will help the region to become a national esports hub.
In addition, an £8million state-of-the-art esports arena has recently opened in Newcastle. The arena is part of the Newcastle United Foundation’s NUCASTLE community hub and will support Newcastle College’s new esports study programme. It is hoped the course and access to the facility will give the next generation insight into the industry and the tools to have a successful career.
There is a growing number of meet ups for non-competitive game play across the region through the college and university esports teams. This includes:
- Durham University Esports and Gaming (DUEG)
- Team Sunderland Esports at the University of Sunderland
- Teesside Esports Society at the University
- The Northumbria Vikings at Northumbria University
- Video gaming and esport society at Newcastle University
The region’s five universities and excellent higher education colleges provide a strong pipeline of talent for the esport sector. We have 67,000 students who are studying Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics subjects in our universities, and our region’s education institutions and local delivery partners offer specialist courses in emerging technology, esports, and immersive tech.
- Sunderland College who is leading the way in digital innovation and has recently invested over £12,000 establishing a new esports studio. The college is working with Aim Awards, ESL, the British E-sports Association and UKIE to deliver the UK’s first college esports qualification. The college currently offers a Level 3 esports Extended Diploma
- Alongside the Newcastle United Foundation, Newcastle College has launched an interactive esports programme of one and two year BTEC Level 2 and 3 diplomas for students
- Gateshead College offers a Level 3 qualification covering the fundamentals of games, esports and live streaming.
With exceptional digital connectivity and fantastic air, rail, sea and road networks, North East England is the perfect location to reach European and international markets. The region has a huge range of office and studio space available at business parks and in city centres, as well as opportunities for bespoke workspace solutions.
Esport organisations choosing to locate in North East England will benefit from a wide range of business support and cluster networks primed to offer guidance and advice across a range of topics.
To support a smooth transition to the region, Invest North East England can provide a range of services, including property searches, data on skills and guidance on incentives, as well as making introductions to specialist networks that can offer guidance and links to potential customers, opportunities and research and development support.