North East England – the perfect location for financial technology companies to locate and grow.
In 2021, the Kalifa Review identified North East England as one of ten emerging fintech clusters and areas for “Levelling Up” located across the UK.
With a strong ecosystem of innovation, access to large fintech market opportunities, an unrivalled network of business clusters, five world-class universities and a highly skilled talent pool, North East England is a brilliant location for FInTech companies to locate and grow.
The region has expertise in open banking, blockchain, mortgages, savings, cyber, fraud tech, boasts several enterprise software development providers who have tech teams embedded in top tier investment banks and SME’s. The region is also home to one of the UK’s foremost challenger banks, Durham-based Atom – and there are several other regional operators with banking licence applications well underway.
Why FinTech firms choose to locate in North East England
- Established ecosystem of digital businesses playing a pivotal role in the fintech revolution, including Atom Bank, Sage, Kani Payments, True Potential, FIS, Newcastle Strategic Solutions, Elavon (formerly Sage Pay), Paynovate, Cascade, Pockit, Singletrack and Donr.
- Five universities with over 67,000 students studying STEM subjects, producing a high-quality talent pool of graduates ready for the workplace.
- A thriving digital cluster and two National Innovation Centres with a global reputation for data science and digital transformation.
- FinPact, the “front door” to the Fintech eco-system in the North East, was created on the back of the Kalifa report and is focussed on ensuring all aspects of the eco-system are world-class in their content and delivery.
- Quality Grade A office accommodation and innovation hubs such as Newcastle Helix, Sunderland Software Centre, Floe workspace and Salvus House all focussed on growing innovative tech businesses.