More than 10% of the global population is over 60, and by 2050, and this is predicted to rise to more than a fifth. Our society is ageing and with almost 12 million over 55s in the UK currently, there has never been more pressing demand for innovations that help us meet the needs of our oldest citizens.
With a globally competitive life sciences ecosystem, established clusters connecting investors with customers, collaborators and supply chains, and a Government commitment to industry partnerships, North East England is a test bed for Innovation and new product development in the growing Healthy Ageing market.
The opportunity to design, test and commercialise health management solutions and smart assistive technologies is here.
Why North East England?
- Be part of a collaborative cluster for innovation: access exceptional facilities and engage with the National Innovation Centres for Ageing and Data, as well as the National Institute for Health Research at Newcastle Helix, which is also home to a collection of innovative SMEs
- Plug into a supply chain of pioneering and established partners: the region supports a rich network of researchers, commercial and support organisations all focused on healthy ageing
- Find talent, skills and capability: with five thriving universities, the region has over 67,000 students studying STEM related subjects, while over 32,000 highly-skilled local professionals are employed in the digital and technology sector and over 7,000 in the life sciences sector
- Keep people learning, moving and growing together with your products; as part of a collaborative NHS and business network, companies located here can test profitable products and services made with insight from older people
- Find integrated resources: with business experts, researchers, and the public co-designing solutions using the latest data and AI, the North East is a hub for ageing intelligence, healthy longevity and lifelong wellbeing
- Gain insight into leading research and shared practice; the region is leading the way on healthy ageing with a cross-organisational ecosystem of academics, healthcare professionals and industry experts
- Stay connected: with road, rail and port access to the rest of the UK and the world, the region is the ideally located to reach global markets and customers.
Supporting your move to North East England
To support your move to North East England, as well as making introductions to specialist networks that can offer guidance and links to potential customers, opportunities, research and development, Invest North East England can provide practical business assistance, such as property searches and data on skills and incentives.